Well, here it is at last- the quilt I’ve been working on since the first of December! I put the last stitch in it triumphantly and blearily this afternoon. I wonder how many there are- I started out at about 7 or 8 stitches per inch but by the end was up to around 10. The directness of the hand sewing was really nice- it’s just your hands, a needle, some thread and some cloth and look what happens! I quilted in a mixture of swirls -the sheep tracks- hearts in the border patches, and increasing geometric lines which give lots of depth and interesting patterns. I hope to give it to the little recipient this weekend, so I have taken loads of photos for posterity- here you go!
As I said in my last post about the quilt, the design process started as a wintry farm, or landscape quilt, with house, sheep and ploughed field. I drew a sketch with a square farmhouse at the centre and promptly thought of doing their own house instead- it is a distinctive round shape and very beautiful. So I changed the sketch and took a few liberties with trees, outbuildings and neighbours! Little Theo was in fact born at home as well, which is really lovely.
I then did a scaled drawing so that I wouldn’t be uttering too many swear words as I wasted fabric by cutting too small, something I am very liable to blunder in and do. I had to buy the white, grey and blue fabrics for all the shades of snow and ploughed field, but I had most of the other, warmer colours already. The green for the pine trees has a tiny white spot on it which I thought evocative of snow. The quilting pattern on the pine tree triangles, hopefully suggestive of branches, was Oli’s idea, and I think it works well.
The only one I had a hard time with was the striped greeny-brown for the garage, a building that has been newly and very lovingly built and so had to be put in acurately, complete with spiral staircase quilted on! I found the fabric at Fabric Inspirations eventually.
There is no hawthorn tree in the garden I don’t think, but wanted some red at the heart of the whole thing:
The backing fabric needed to tie in colour-wise and also be nice and busy to hide all those stitches!
As soon as I knew the baby’s name I embroidered it in the top left corner, which was a nice change from all the quilting.
Of course, I had a helper:
I’m looking forward to giving it away- on with the next thing!
All wrapped up and ready to go!