After despairing that my labrador fabric from Spoonflower would never arrive (it was coming from the USA, and is printed to order, so I knew it would take a while, but I ordered it on the 9th of February!), it popped through the letterbox today! Hooray! I was trying to get as much as possible done on the farm quilt top so that as soon as the labs arrived I could pretty much get the quilting thread out and start. So the above photo is of the top, all marked out with lines and almost ready to go -I just need to draw the hearts on the border squares and make up my ‘sandwich’ of top, wadding and backing fabric.
I must say the images on the Spoonflower website were very good and I’m happy with the labrador puppies. They have that irresistible puppy appeal but I think without being tacky or too cheesy. I hope! It’s a shame it’ll be on the back, really.
Here’s the tree and the hills pre-marking and also before I put the green leaf buds (French knots) on. Sol refers to them as ‘tiny balls’ which is pretty accurate!
The plough is quite a basic affair, I did lots of google image searching and looking in farm machinery books but decided simple was the way forward:
I found I really liked the red, white and blue colour combination in the corners, and am pleased with how strongly the strawberries stand out. Before green stalk embroidery:
So altogether it does seem to be coming along. The marking out takes ages, so now that’s mostly done, the rest should be a breeze… I’m optimistic!