Oh, I do apologise. It has been such a while since my last post, and I have been feeling The Blog Guilt! I keep thinking of posts and ideas at inopportune moments -driving, cooking dinner, picking up individual sticky porridge oats off the floor- and then, once I sit down, feel Quilt Guilt and as this quilt is a commission (double guilt), it has come before the blog. But here are a few photos of the sycamore quilt top in progress.
As I’ve written before, this quilt is for a baby with Sycamore as one of her middle names, and so I was asked to have a sycamore tree as the main motif. It’s meant to be a very simple, child-like design, with nice big colourful leaves. I used fusible interfacing for the leaves, after a quick search on how to use the technique. The Purl Bee has an excellent tutorial here. The leaves are machine stitched, with the right side of the fabric facing the fusible side of a bit of interfacing. Trim closely with pinking shears (to minimise bulk in curves once it’s turned out) You then snip a hole in the interfacing and turn it inside out- it looks slightly puffy and pillowy.
Then you iron it down, which fuses the little leaf puff to the background fabric. I hand appliquéd them on too. The sycamore keys are embroidered, as will be two little birds and a cat.
Once I’ve finished the top (soon, I hope) I’ll quilt the leaves down as well as the trunk and tree branches. I may do some quilting on the sand background but it won’t be elaborate- just a few swirls or tucks here and there. I’m looking forward to using my mushroom fabric!