Wedding fever continues apace and today, in very fitful bursts of standing-up sewing and in between nursery runs and nappy changes, I made the boys’ bow ties. It was not the most tricky of dressmaking tasks, but I’ve put together some step by step photos anyway as even though simple, it was quite satisfying!
To make one bow tie, I cut two pieces of fabric measuring 21x12cm and matching fusible interfacing to make the bow (no seam allowances required for these). I cut one long 40x2cm strip with small seam allowance down the long edges. I also cut a little 7x1cm strip, similarly leaving a small seam allowance down the long edges. You can see four bow bits in the photo below because I made two bow ties.
I ironed on the interfacing, dotty fusible side against the wrong side of my fabric, and folded it lengthwise towards the middle as below, then widthwise also towards the middle (it has sprung open in the photo but you can see the fold lines, and the finished fold in the second picture)
This resulted in a neat little book-like rectangle and I machine stitched the edges down. I did the same with the second rectangle.
The long neck strip was folded in half widthwise, right sides facing, and the long side sewn up to make a tube. I turned it inside out (faffy: you can buy special instruments to facilitate this, which might be worth it) and pressed it flat, seam to the edge. I then attached hook and loop tape, taking care to make sure they were on different sides so they match up when the bow tie goes round the neck. I did the same with the small rectangle, minus the hook and loop tape.
The bow pieces were then sandwiched together with the folded edges facing each other. I pinched them to make a nice bow shape and held it in place with a few hand stitches.
I placed the bow on the table, and then put the the long strip on top of it at the centre of the bow, with the longer loop bit of tape facing away (so if the bow tie is on its tightest setting the excess is tucked against the neck and not left flapping out)
The smaller strip was then wound round the long one and the bow to keep them together and it was secured with a few hand stitches, thread doubled for strength.
Very sweet photos of the full ensemble should follow in two weeks’ time -barring any jam-related disasters or toddler refusals to wear hand crafted bow ties of course…