I started this project with three aims: to use up some tiny ends of yarn I had left over from other things; to make a warm hat for Otis; to take a stab at fair isle knitting. Luckily, I did not aim to create a good piece of fair isle knitting- but I did meet my other goals very nicely!
There are some effects I’m really pleased with:
And others I am NOT:
I wouldn’t use superwash yarns again though, as they don’t seem to have enough grip the way wool does to stick the floats (the strands of yarn-in-waiting on the wrong side) down and stop things sliding around as much. My tension and the jogs (that little ‘step up’ you can see where one round ends and the next begins) also need some honing. There’s something you can do to avoid them which I need to read up on.
Although the yarns are either cashmerino or pure alpaca, I plan to line the hat in poly fleece as I did for Sol’s. It’s bitter here in the winter time and fleece provides a bit more insulation and wind barrier.
It was really quite enjoyable trying something new, and starting some new skills- I have quite some way to go!