Archive for the ‘Finished Projects’ Category


Finally! The laying and sanding of our sitting room floor has unfortunately eaten up rather a lot of knitting time, but after a few hours in the car last weekend visiting friends and the odd row snatched here and there, my Jared Flood shawl is at last finished.


It consisted of three sections, all knitted using different techniques, which kept it interesting, although I was ready for it to be over with by the end!


I did try take some photos of it without the use of children and dogs as props, but the colour just didn’t look right. It’s a gorgeous Shilasdair yarn dyed using tansy flowers. My sister is the recipient- I hope you like it Sophie!



Read Full Post »


For Otis. As I sit every night at the moment, huffing and puffing grumpily into a dust mask as we scrape and sand hundreds of reclaimed hardwood parquet blocks, I try to remember that not every purchase of second hand goods from gumtree means blood, sweat and tears. Although Otis’ antique brass bed, acquired at a price to make the bargain hunter in me very pleased indeed, did require some serious polishing and a bit of repair work on three decorative spindly bits, it was nothing compared to the mammoth task of restoring Sol’s bed.

I really wanted a metal bed of a similar age to sit next to Solomon’s, which meant waiting a while for the right one in a reasonable location to pop up. But pop up it did, and we’re all really pleased, none less so than Oti!

Read Full Post »


Well some things just don’t work out, do they. The quilt I had planned as a present for a dear friend’s baby has ended up on our sofa, and before that very nearly the bin. It was one of those feelings that sneak up on you when you’re making something, an uneasy feeling that something isn’t quite right.


As I scissor-cut the triangles freehand, I banished that creeping feeling, tried to ignore the millimetres here and there that deep down I knew would add up to centimetres out. When I pieced the triangles, all was well: they became neat, precise squares. But each square differed subtly from its neighbour and seams stubbornly refused to align.


Best of a bad bunch


and the very worst… painful!

It was only the gorgeous colours that made me keep it and piece it together, but I lacked the love to hand (or machine) quilt it and so I tied it instead, hoping also that the ties would hide the horrible misalignments slightly! I really do love the colours and the patterned fabrics I chose, and for me those have been its only saving grace.



Next time: rotary cutter, or templates. And not ignoring any sinking feelings…


Read Full Post »


Not that bunting has ever, to my knowledge, professed any kind of machismo or tough manliness, but this has to be the most unicorn-and-glitter friendly bunting I’ve ever made.




I’m not sure what came over me: I saw something similar on Pinterest; I am surrounded by little boys; I have an abundance of vintage embroidered linens… don’t you just love it when a plan comes together. I didn’t want to spend any money on this project, and just made do with the ribbons and materials I already had, with a heavy bias towards pink.


None of my Very Precious tablecloths were used, and I did have to take a deep breath when I chopped up two hand towels. But delicately worked hand towels just aren’t going to get used for anything in this house, so I went for it. Some of the pennant backs are an equally super-fluffy pink and flowery Liberty print.


I plan to put it up for birthday parties until my sons beg me not to, at which point I will put it up on MY birthday and revel in its frivolity. And eat cakes and drink tea from my Wedgewood cups. Yay!


Read Full Post »



Forget pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and being vomited on. Nothing says “mum” like making a Splat the Rat for the school PTA. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this. But I’m rather fond of Ratty.

Read Full Post »


Just a quick present for a friend- I used a varigated yarn which was very sweetly given to me, and I just made it up. I tried an i-cord cast on and bind off, which result in a lovely tubular edging in which the stitches run perpendicular to the rest of the work.


For some reason the cast on ended up tighter than the bind off, so that’s the top as it hugs the neck slightly more. It’s just moss stitch, as I wanted something simple and reversible.


I hope it keeps its recipient cosy during our Aberdeenshire winters!

Read Full Post »


I’ve now knit this pattern most of any I’ve tried- it’s no longer necessary to dig it out from the bottom of my knitting bag or rip back and start afresh the seemingly endless times I had to when it was way out of my depth. I still love it and enjoy it, and the resulting fabric is stretchy, bouncy, and beautiful enough to be special without being so fragile and precious as to be squirrelled away for the moths to enjoy. I don’t think there’s a specific baby in mind yet for this one, the client who wanted it was given one for her baby and just wanted another one, this time in a darker grey. Otis certainly enjoyed it!


Read Full Post »

Older Posts »